Workshop - Facebook
Want to book for the next time this course is run?
Phone us. (04) 560-3160 (Office is not always staffed).
Email us (Click here). Include your name, email and phone number in the email.
To enable you to understand what Facebook can offer and to use it safely the way YOU want to on whatever device you want to use.
Facebook is a social media web site useful for connecting with family, friends and others with similar interests. It's especially good for those Seniors whose friends/family live in a different town or country.
While being very useful there are privacy and security pitfalls that you can fall into if not used correctly. This workshop will show you how to safely connect to Facebook and to get it to work the way YOU want it to, using either a PC, laptop, notebook, iPad, tablet or smartphone(iPhone/Android).
The workshop has 2 sessions. It is a practical hands-on workshop. It is flexible and caters for those with no knowledge and /or those that have had Facebook set up for them but have more questions on using it - especially security. It is tailored to the attendee's area of interest. After completing the 1st session the attendees will be asked to practice / use the basic features that they've learnt in L1 and come back for L2 with any questions and to learn how to use the next level of functions.
At the end of the 2 workshops the attendees should be able to use Facebook with confidence and in a secure way.
The topics covered are:
- What Facebook can be used for.
- Setting up your device to use Facebook.
- Setting up Facebook to work the way you want it to.
- Getting the level of security and privacy set up in a way that protects you from unwanted approaches.
- Finding "friends" and making it easy (or difficult) for friends to find you.
- Finding and using (or even setting up) any Facebook Groups that are created for those with your interests.
- Letting your "friends" know what you think or where you are etc, and commenting on thoughts that they post.
- Guidance on what kind of things to avoid putting on Facebook.
- Loading photos.
- If you have second thoughts about a post, what you can do about it.
- How to know when one of your "friends" has posted something on Facebook and how and when you want to know about it.
- Using the Facebook messenger facility to talk to someone privately i.e. just between the 2 of you.
- Deleting old posts or deleting yourself from Facebook.
Basic skills in the use of the internet and your device are required to appreciate the content of this workshop. If you want to access Facebook with any device other than a desktop PC, then please bring it fully charged with you.
Two sessions of 2 hours each.
SeniorNet Hutt City Inc.